[GRASSLIST:7028] Re: calculating center of intensity

Charles Ehlschlaeger CR-Ehlschlaeger2 at WIU.EDU
Mon Jun 6 11:45:44 EDT 2005

Tom,

I purposely threw in that caveat because I assumed that a human would
have to decide what a storm pattern was. If an algorithm automatically
found storm cells of contiguous positive rainfall values, there might be
splinter cells a meteorologist would consider part of the same pattern.
Ergo, I would expect the user to zoom to a region with a single rain
event and mask out any areas they didn't consider part of that storm.
Then, a variation of the procedure below would do the trick. As Hamish
suggests, r.univar is probably better than r.volume.

sincerely, chuck