[GRASSLIST:7052] Re: calculating center of intensity

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 7 08:04:48 EDT 2005

Chuck,

I pretty much figured that was the case. If Jason is doing what I think
he is doing, namely, to track storm cell life cycles & movement in order
to develop statistics and an algorithm for predictive purposes, he's
going to need to process a huge volume of data. So, the manual steps of
identifying individual cells and zooming in will be extremely tedious.
He needs something to automate the process.

BTW, last I remember (years ago), you moved to NYC -- so I guess you're
back in the midwest?

Regards,
Tom

Charles Ehlschlaeger wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I purposely threw in that caveat because I assumed that a human would
> have to decide what a storm pattern was. If an algorithm automatically
> found storm cells of contiguous positive rainfall values, there might
> be splinter cells a meteorologist would consider part of the same
> pattern. Ergo, I would expect the user to zoom to a region with a
> single rain event and mask out any areas they didn't consider part of
> that storm. Then, a variation of the procedure below would do the
> trick. As Hamish suggests, r.univar is probably better than r.volume.
>
> sincerely, chuck
>
> Thomas Adams wrote:
>
>> Chuck,
>>
>> Does this assume you only have one raster map cell shape? What if
>> there are multiples, which is what I think Jason has? I think, then,
>> you would get a single center of mass for the cluster of separate cells.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> Charles Ehlschlaeger wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have GRASS working on my computer to check this out,
>>> however, here is a procedure to calculating the center of a shape:
>>>
>>> Assume you have a raster map "shape" where the value of 0 is at all
>>> places w/out the shape and a positive value where the shape is
>>> located at.
>>>
>>> 1) Find the total volume of the shape w/:
>>>
>>> 1a) r.mapcalc command function:
>>> one = "1"
>>>
>>> 1b) r.volume d=shape clump=one
>>>
>>> (There should be a better way of doing this.)
>>>
>>> 2) Calculate volumeOnAxis of shape in North-South dimension with the
>>> r.mapcalc command:
>>>
>>> NSvolumeOn = shape * y()
>>>
>>> 3) Calculate massOnAxis of shape in East-West dimension with the
>>> r.mapcalc command:
>>>
>>> EWvolumeOn = shape * x()
>>>
>>> 4) Find the total volume of NSvolumeOn with:
>>>
>>> r.volume d= NSvolumeOn clump=one
>>>
>>> 5) Find the total volume of EWvolumeOn with:
>>>
>>> r.volume d= NSvolumeOn clump=one
>>>
>>> 6) The coordinates of the center will be
>>> east = total volume of EWvolumeOn / volume of shape

EMAIL:	thomas.adams at noaa.gov

VOICE:	937-383-0528
FAX:	937-383-0033