[GRASSLIST:7054] Re: r.to.pg

Otto Dassau dassau at gdf-hannover.de
Tue Jun 7 08:26:29 EDT 2005

Am Dienstag, 7. Juni 2005 14:13 schrieb orkun:
> Otto Dassau wrote:
> >Am Dienstag, 7. Juni 2005 12:33 schrieb orkun:
> >>hello
> >>
> >>*Where can I find r**.**to**.**pg script to download from ?
> >
> >Maybe someone using GRASS 5.3 or 5.4 can provide it.
> >
> >>regards
> >>* <http://www.grass-gis.de/dassau/r_cross_pg/r.cross.to.pg.html>
> >
> >-> now available again...
> >
> >       Otto
>
> thank you
>
> I think in grass6 raster to vector does what r.to.pg does internally.

Hi,

right! you can convert the raster map into vector format and write all
attributes into PostgreSQL. But there is a difference: r.to.pg writes each
pixel value to the table, r.to.vect writes feature (points, lines, polygones)
attributes.

I guess, it depends on what you want to do. Some years ago, I needed raster
pixel values to be able to calculate statistics with R from PostgreSQL table
entries -> that's why r.to.pg was necessary and useful to me.

best wishes
   Otto