[GRASSLIST:7153] Re: v.digit

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:16:20 EDT 2005

There are not enough developers to do this currently. This is one reason
that QGIS is suggested. For those who are able to compile it, it has pretty
good digitizing tools.

However, if someone could "adopt" v.digit, it could be considerably improved
I'm sure. I did a little cosmetic  improvement, but don't have the
C-programming skills to implement the wishes. I'm sure that someone out
there does. It just takes a volunteer.

Michael

On 6/13/05 10:17 AM, "Otto Dassau" <dassau at gdf-hannover.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 13. Juni 2005 01:07 schrieb Konstantinos Theofilis:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am digitizing a map and I have some issues due to the lack of a
>> "join" operation in v.digit module. Since I have to start a new line
>> everytime I use the "pan" function, I use v.build.polylines to joine
>> them afterwards. Trouble is, that the new vector map generated from
>> v.build.polylines does not preserve the table structure (the "height"
>> column that I add to to the original vector map).
>>
>> Any workaround?
>
> Hi,
>
> you could use Quantum GIS to digitize within the GRASS database, AFAIK it
> allows what you are looking for.
>
> BTW: There already exists a wish list for v.digit in the bugtracker (03/2005)
> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3090&display=History
>
> 1) Visualization of snapping radius.
> 2) Snapping to lines
> 3) Snap to vetices and nodes.
> 4) virtually snapping to a background map.
>
> maybe you can add your wish as well,
> but it seems that the development prefers QGIS as digitizing tool.
>
>   Otto

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402