[GRASSLIST:7188] Mapset Access

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 11:27:05 EDT 2005

Hi,

Can someone give me a quick overview of how mapset access control
works in grass. I have a location with a number of mapsets, all of
which I now need to share with coworkers but I can't seem to get it
working. I've moved the mapsets onto our server machine (Apple G5
running 10.4 and Grass 6.0 using Lorenzo Moretti's binary) and put
them in /Users/Shared/Grass. I own the location:

> struthio:/Users/Shared/Grass dorme$ ls -l
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwx   13 dorme  wheel  442 Jun 16 14:52 global-behrman

The location contains a number of mapsets - all of which I want to
permit other users on that machine to access:

> struthio:/Users/Shared/Grass dorme$ ls -l global-behrman/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x   10 dorme     wheel  340 Jun  9 16:04 PERMANENT
> drwxr-xr-x   27 dorme     wheel  918 Jun 14 13:22 base_maps
> drwxr-xr-x   14 dorme     wheel  476 Jun  8 16:12 grid2_richness
> drwxr-xr-x   14 dorme     wheel  476 Jun 13 13:52 parrot_maps
> drwxr-xr-x   15 dorme     wheel  510 Jun  9 16:10 range_size
> drwxr-xr-x   14 dorme     wheel  476 Jun 13 14:10 richness_maps
> drwxr-xr-x   14 dorme     wheel  476 Jun 16 15:27 spot_performance
> drwxr-xr-x   18 dorme     wheel  612 Jun 16 15:19 taxon_maps
> drwxr-xr-x   17 dorme     wheel  578 Jun 13 14:27 threat_maps

I've tried using g.access from within mapsets to grant group and
other access but my coworkers still can't access those mapsets
locally, although oddly the mapsets are listed as accessible when
someone mounts /Users/Shared/Grass on another machine.

Basically, I think I've totally borked the permissions but I can't
find anything that tells me what the basis of the mapset access is so
that I can correct it. I would have expected that using g.access
other=grant should allow anyone on the local machine to access the
mapset - as far as I can see it does something like 'chmod o+rx' -
yet other users can't access mapsets for which I've issued the command.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
David