[GRASSLIST:7200] Re: Mapset Access

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 19:34:47 EDT 2005

> > Can someone give me a quick overview of how mapset access control
> > works in  grass. I have a location with a number of mapsets, all of
> > which I now need to  share with coworkers but I can't seem to get it
> > working. I've moved the  mapsets onto our server machine (Apple G5
> > running 10.4 and Grass 6.0 using  Lorenzo Moretti's binary) and put
> > them in /Users/Shared/Grass. I own the  location:
>
> I think the point is that you can only select a mapset as your working
>
> mapset if you own it. If other users need to access maps in that
> mapset  then they use the map at mapset notation.

You must own the working mapset (so you can create new maps, *change the
region*, apply your own color maps to other's raster maps, etc.). Once
each user has their own working mapset, use g.mapsets to add the other
mapset to the search path so you don't need to use the "@othermapset"
notation all the time. That should be it.

> Have never really worked much with multiple mapsets so I don't have a
> clear idea of the type of problems you can encounter but I don't think
> there is that much to it.

I use them extensively (although mostly single user access). No problems.

Hamish