[GRASSLIST:5993] Re: Concurrent use of GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 18:22:53 EST 2005

Jose:
> I have a dual CPU machine, and I would like to run several GRASS
> programs in parallel. I found that since I need to change regions, I
> end up having race conditions, and endless grief. I would rather just
> use two different GRASS sessions to do things (maybe with a different
> location). However, GRASS complains that
> ${USER} is currently running GRASS 5.4.0. Concurrent use not allowed.

Concurrent use of GRASS is only supported in version 6.0.

Even then, each session must use a different location. (but of course
you can who two locations which are twins and copy over the processed
results)

Some modules can be safely backgrounded with "&", but as you may have
already found some can't be. You can get away with it sometimes but do
so at your own peril.

Pete:
> I'm curious about what work has/is been done with
> parallelizing grass and gdal with clusters.

see  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass50/#cluster
     http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2005-January/027642.html

Hamish