[GRASSLIST:6072] Re: GRASS60: Warning This is not a valid mapset

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 00:23:29 EST 2005

>   I installed GRASS54 and GRASS60beta2 on my DEBIAN box without any
> problem, but when I tried to access to my old data, I obtained a
> Message Box saying "Warning This is not a valid mapset" and I can't
> open my data.
>  Is there any changes in the Mapset definitions... is there anyway to
>  get more details about the warning ?

perhaps this is it:
??

GRASS 6 now includes support for 3D raster grids. see:
  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grid3d/index.html

To do this we need to have a min,max,res for the z coordinate as well as
x and y.

Running:

g.region -p3

in GRASS 6 will show all the new region settings (usually hidden for
everyday 2D use).

... things like 6.0's NVIZ now require the new region format so it
automatically updates it if needed. So if you go back to 5.4 after using
6.0, the region settings can be strange and new as far as 5.4 is concerned.
(If anybody ever does it, we should release a forward compatible GRASS 5.4.1)

Solution: in 5.4 run 'g.region -d' then go on your way. As long as the
mapset was created in 5.4 this should work ok.

or copy DEFAULT_WIND from the PERMANENT mapset to the WIND file in your
local mapset if outside of GRASS.

maybe just run d.zoom?

Hamish