[GRASSLIST:6111] RE:GRASS60: Warning This is not a valid mapset

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 18:14:26 EST 2005

> >>   I installed GRASS54 and GRASS60beta2 on my DEBIAN box without any
> >> problem, but when I tried to access to my old data, I obtained a
> >> Message Box saying "Warning This is not a valid mapset" and I can't
> >> open my data.
> >>  Is there any changes in the Mapset definitions... is there anyway
> >to >  get more details about the warning ?
..
> > GRASS 6 now includes support for 3D raster grids. see:
> >   http://grass.ibiblio.org/grid3d/index.html
..
> > ... things like 6.0's NVIZ now require the new region format so it
> > automatically updates it if needed. So if you go back to 5.4 after
> > using 6.0, the region settings can be strange and new as far as 5.4
> > is concerned.
> > (If anybody ever does it, we should release a forward compatible
> > GRASS 5.4.1)
..
>    Still with the problem.
>    First I can't run g.region -p3 in GRASS 6 because of I can't enter
>    (I
> don't have a valid mapset :( ).

It fails in GRASS 6?? That ain't right. what happens when you do

g.region rast=some_map

or

g.region rast=some_map at other_mapset

?

>  I check the DEFAULT_WIND and the WIND files and they are the same,
>  and
> still have the problem.

In that case 'g.region -d' will fail as DEFAULT_WIND is broken too?

can you post the file here?

> Also, in the local mapsets I found not only a WIND file but also a
> wind file, Is that right ?

yes.

>    I will try to create a new Mapset and see what happens....

this starts out by copying the DEFAULT_WIND file to the mapset's WIND
file.. if your DEFAULT_WIND is bad, the new mapset will be bad as well.
(but do try)

I was switching between 6.0 and 5.4 yesterday.. the need for a forward
compatible 5.4.1 is fairly clear if people are going to continue to use
the 5.4 line.

Hamish