[GRASSLIST:6198] RE: display manager and monitors

geir.systad at nina.no geir.systad at nina.no
Wed Mar 16 19:18:02 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kelly [mailto:paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:51 AM
To: Hamish
Cc: Systad, Geir; grasslist at baylor.edu
Subject: Re: [GRASSLIST:6194] RE: display manager and monitors

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Hamish wrote:

>> I use the graphical interface of Grass6.0.0 Cygwin stable (feb
>> something). I have tried to import shapefiles into grass, and get
>> messages like
>> this:
>>
>> v.in.ogr dsn=/cygdrive/c/xxx/periode1a.shp output=p1a min_area=0.0001

>> snap=-1 PROJ_INFO file not found for location N50kart
>> PROJ_UNITS file not found for location N50kart
>
> ?!
>
> what does 'g.proj -p' give?
>
> XY location?
>

>> Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match.
>
> ?! NULL == NULL ?
>
> can that ever be true for shapefiles? is .prj respected if it exists?

Yes... OGR reads the .prj file. If there is none there then OGR dataset
projection = 0 (XY) and if the same for location then the message about
projections matching will be (validly because XY == XY) reported.

I fixed v.in.ogr so it won't bother checking for proj_info and
proj_units
if the location is XY and will avoid the confusing warnings.

Paul

-----end of Original Message-----

Vhen following Hamish, I get:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (N50kart):~ > g.proj -p
XY location (unprojected)

The shapefile was projected, is projected now, utm,wgs84,sone33n.
And the same thing happens when I make a projected location
(utm,wgs84,sone33n).

As you might understand, I am not used to grass. I am going to read some
manuals..

But the problem is not the projections, I believe.
When I try to present it on maps, only the boundaries of the areas show
up -

GRASS 6.0.0 (N50kart):~ > WARNING: coor files of vector 'p1a at PERMANENT'
is larger than it should be
         (33479 bytes excess).
WARNING: Cannot display areas, topology not available
WARNING: Cannot display topology, not available

And the problem remains after projecting.

Thanks, Geir