[GRASSLIST:6264] Having problems with GRASS60

Michael Salisbury michaelsalisbury at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 15:16:38 EST 2005

Hi all

its been a while since I messed with grass.  I took some time to check
the mailing list archives and maybe missed the mails pertaining to my
start up problem.  I installed grass on opendarwin-7.2.1 which is a
"value added" version of darwin for ppc (i.e. no Mac OS X proprietary
parts to it like Aqua).  First I used a less well know port system
called darwinports instead of fink, to install fftw, proj, gdal, and
postgresql. Then I downloaded the lastest tar.gz from the grass
website.  ./configure, make and make install, went fine w/o any
problems.  So after I typed "grass60" I get the usual greetings and
"....Hit return". Then I get the dialog box where I can choose an
existing mapset or create a location etc.  So I choose to make a new
location and then I get the map and then nothing.  I'm at the grass
prompt with some errors about not being able to make a location.  Any
help?  I have tried Lorenzo's package.  The only problem is that I get
much the same start up problems and then his package uses "veclib"
which I guess is a proprietary lib from apple.  I'm not interested in
purchasing panther and it won't run on my old ibook but opendarwin will
and does nicely.  I run ps and I see the init.sh is running.  So My
info is: XDarwin from XFree86 (binary install), window manager = tab
window manager (no frills), called from rxvt, on opendarwin-7.2.1
running on a 7 yearold g3 ibook (clamshell).  I've used fink to install
grass before but it didn't do well and the grass from the darwinports
is not existent anymore.   Should I go for 5.4 or something? or is
there a way to make do with what I got?

Thanks for any help.

Mike