[GRASSLIST:6265] Re: Having problems with GRASS60

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 23:24:53 EST 2005

> its been a while since I messed with grass.  I took some time to check
> the mailing list archives and maybe missed the mails pertaining to my
> start up problem.  I installed grass on opendarwin-7.2.1 which is a
> "value added" version of darwin for ppc (i.e. no Mac OS X proprietary
> parts to it like Aqua).  First I used a less well know port system
> called darwinports instead of fink, to install fftw, proj, gdal, and
> postgresql. Then I downloaded the lastest tar.gz from the grass
> website.  ./configure, make and make install, went fine w/o any
> problems.  So after I typed "grass60" I get the usual greetings and
> "....Hit return". Then I get the dialog box where I can choose an
> existing mapset or create a location etc.  So I choose to make a new
> location and then I get the map and then nothing.  I'm at the grass
> prompt with some errors about not being able to make a location.  Any
> help?  I have tried Lorenzo's package.  The only problem is that I get
> much the same start up problems and then his package uses "veclib"
> which I guess is a proprietary lib from apple.  I'm not interested in
> purchasing panther and it won't run on my old ibook but opendarwin
> will  and does nicely.  I run ps and I see the init.sh is running.  So
> My  info is: XDarwin from XFree86 (binary install), window manager =
> tab  window manager (no frills), called from rxvt, on opendarwin-7.2.1
> running on a 7 yearold g3 ibook (clamshell).  I've used fink to
> install  grass before but it didn't do well and the grass from the
> darwinports  is not existent anymore.   Should I go for 5.4 or
> something? or is  there a way to make do with what I got?

a) try the 6.0.0 release instead of the latest CVS. In the last week or
two there have been several changes to the GUI to make it more aqua
compatible. It's likely things are not 100% yet.

b) when you click "create new location" control switches over to the
terminal shell window, but nothing tells you this is happening. So if
your terminal shell is minimized at that point you never know..

c) try starting in text mode: 'grass60 -text' and then from the GRASS>
prompt start a monitor with 'd.mon x0' and then the GUI with 'd.m &'.

let us know how you get on.

Hamish