[GRASSLIST:6787] Re: v.in.garmin

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 22:00:41 EDT 2005

> I'm attempting to use v.in.garmin for the first time, but I can't
> figure out in which directory to place the gpstrans files.  Can
> someone please direct me to the right location?

v.in.garmin is designed to run gpstrans itself, not to take gpstrans
output files as input. The gpstrans program must exist somewhere in your
path (e.g. /usr/local/bin/). (echo $PATH)

If you already have gpstrans download files from the GPS and the data is
not longer on the GPS, you can edit out the header info from the file and
use v.in.ascii to import waypoints into a WGS84 location.

Note the v.in.garmin in GRASS 6.0.0 is broken, you'll need to download &
replace the script on your disk (it's just a text file, no need to
recompile anything).

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass6/scripts/v.in.garmin/v.in.garmin?rev=1.11.2.4

It works quite well once it is running.

Hamish