[GRASSLIST:6810] Re: interpolation takes long time

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Wed May 18 07:15:56 EDT 2005

Hi,
On 5/18/05, orkun <temiz at deprem.gov.tr> wrote:
> I need to use v.surf.rast. But my contour map covers
> very large area. So it takes very long time to perform
> interpolation. In previous trials, v.surf.rast became dead.

I have around 8M points, that are interpolated into a 31M cells DEM.
the interpolation takes around 1.5-2 days on a Linux system
(PIV-1.8GHz, 512Mb) using different values of npmin and segmax. The
DEM does have some fairly large masked out areas, where no data are
present, and it is over these regions that interpolation takes longer.
If plenty of data are available, and uniformly distributed, v.surf.rst
is reasonably fast. If you have large areas with no initial data, then
it becomes very slow.

jose