[GRASSLIST:6826] Fwd: Re: GRASS on HP ProLiant ML570 (solved)

Karl Broich b61bro at b61srv5.bauv.unibw-muenchen.de
Fri May 20 11:09:57 EDT 2005

>On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:01:51PM +0200, Karl Broich wrote:
> > I tried to install GRASS 6.1 from source on our HP ProLiant ML570 (4x64bit
> > Intel Xenion, SuSE Enterprise 8.0) and failed completely.
>
>Please report errors in detail. Maybe we can help then...
>
>Markus
>
> > My guess is that SuSE Enterprise 8.0 is not suitable for scientific
> > purpose. Is this right? Has anyone experience with GRASS on
> > 64bit-smp--intel-architecture?

Hamish/Markus you are absolutely right a request should not look like this.
But there _had_ been a lot of error messages in each package. In meantime
the problem is solved. I took a look at the system and found out that after
full standard installation of SuSE 8.0+SLES parts were  missing (f.i. g77)
or obviously corrupted (f.i. zlib). An online update corrected all this and
compilation was possible after some system specific fitting in configure.

Some info:

The ProLiant ML570 has four 2.8GHz-Intel-Xeon-processors + RAID. The Xeons
have a 64bit-bandwidth -- potentially :(
SuSE 8.0 is not able to support 64bit fully for Intel. For AMD it does. The
4 64bit-processors are treated as 8 32bit-processors. Consequently more
students can reasonably work parallel. But for power-users the possible
capacity is almost halved. The GRASS-setup for this computer is identical
to normal x86. -> no real 64bit test installation. The installed Qt Version
3.05 prevents the compilation of qgis (this requires Qt 3.1 or later).

SuSE 9.0 and > 9.0 supports intel 64bit and has QT > 3.1.

Karl

Dr.-Ing. Karl BROICH			Tel:	+49 / (0) 89 / 6004 2478
Universität der Bundeswehr München	Fax:	+49 / (0) 89 / 6004 3858
Institut für Wasserwesen
Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
D 85577 Neubiberg