[GRASSLIST:6835] Re: Fwd: Re: GRASS on HP ProLiant ML570 (solved)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat May 21 08:39:16 EDT 2005

Karl,

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 05:09:57PM +0200, Karl Broich wrote:

> >On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:01:51PM +0200, Karl Broich wrote:
> >> I tried to install GRASS 6.1 from source on our HP ProLiant ML570
> >(4x64bit
> >> Intel Xenion, SuSE Enterprise 8.0) and failed completely.
> >
> >Please report errors in detail. Maybe we can help then...
> >
> >Markus
> >
> >> My guess is that SuSE Enterprise 8.0 is not suitable for scientific
> >> purpose. Is this right? Has anyone experience with GRASS on
> >> 64bit-smp--intel-architecture?
> >>

> Hamish/Markus you are absolutely right a request should not look like this.
> But there _had_ been a lot of error messages in each package. In meantime
> the problem is solved. I took a look at the system and found out that after
> full standard installation of SuSE 8.0+SLES parts were  missing (f.i. g77)
> or obviously corrupted (f.i. zlib). An online update corrected all this and
> compilation was possible after some system specific fitting in configure.

Could you provide us with a diff (changes) of configure[.in]?
Or send the full file to me for comparison? I would like to get
configure[.in] fixed for 64bit machines...

> Some info:
>
> The ProLiant ML570 has four 2.8GHz-Intel-Xeon-processors + RAID. The Xeons
> have a 64bit-bandwidth -- potentially :(
> SuSE 8.0 is not able to support 64bit fully for Intel. For AMD it does. The
> 4 64bit-processors are treated as 8 32bit-processors. Consequently more
> students can reasonably work parallel. But for power-users the possible
> capacity is almost halved. The GRASS-setup for this computer is identical
> to normal x86. -> no real 64bit test installation.

I am not yet familiar with 64 bit stuff (but we'll have a new machine
soon here). Would be interesting to know if there is anything to define
for GRASSS on 64bit CPUs in terms of speed or whatever.

> The installed Qt Version
> 3.05 prevents the compilation of qgis (this requires Qt 3.1 or later).

BTW:
If you want QGIS, you need 3.1 or (much better) a later Qt version.

> SuSE 9.0 and > 9.0 supports intel 64bit and has QT > 3.1.

Does anyone know how other distros perform for 64bit?

Markus