[GRASSLIST:6833] Re: update from 5.3

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 04:27:21 EDT 2005

> Hello; my computer has crashed so I'm going to install everything
> again.
>
> I used to have 5.3 version og GRASS (for me very good job along with
> postgres  and R) and now I've seen that the las is 6.0.0. But I've
> downloaded it and  the source is very small.
>
> Please, what should I install to have a complete upgraded & stable
> version?
>
> First 5.4 and then 6.0?

No, you just need to install 6.0 (or both).
Both versions stand on their own now.

> Would all my old grass53 databases work directly with this?

Pretty much. Vector and site maps need to be updated to the new format.
A v.convert.all module is included.

Raster maps will be the same, with additional 3D ability.

Be aware postgres interface has changed (vastly improved, different) and
GRASS 6 / R interface is still under active development. Also be aware
that GRASS 6 modifies the mapset's region settings to allow 3D support.
This causes trouble when you want to go back to using 5.4 after you have
been using 6.0, but is easily fixed. Hopefully one day there will be a
5.4.1 release which ignores the new 3D settings and issues an error or
warning when a raster map with 3D data is accessed.

Hamish