[GRASSLIST:6837] Re: update from 5.3

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat May 21 08:48:09 EDT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:11:02PM +0200, javier garcia wrote:
> Hello; my computer has crashed so I'm going to install everything again.
>
> I used to have 5.3 version og GRASS (for me very good job along with postgres
> and R) and now I've seen that the las is 6.0.0. But I've downloaded it and
> the source is very small.

Yes, we reduced it significantly: from 1.x million lines of codes to
something aroung 500000 lines. :-) There was a lot of unused stuff in 5.x.
We also changed from static to shared libraries which significantly
reduces the size of the binary package.

> Please, what should I install to have a complete upgraded & stable version?
>
> First 5.4 and then 6.0?

No, only 6.0. It is complete.

> Would all my old grass53 databases work directly with this?

- raster data: yes
- sites data: sites are managed as vector points now.
              use v.in.sites or v.in.sites.all (the latter to convert all
              sites maps in a mapset in one step)
- vector data: enhanced format with DBMS integration
              use v.convert or v.convert.all (the latter to convert all
              vector maps in a mapset in one step)

Hope this helps

 Markus

--