[GRASSLIST:6842] Data corruption after v.digit crash

Andrew Birkett andy at nobugs.org
Sat May 21 16:44:41 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using grass-6.0.0 to create a vector version of some scanned
out-of-copyright maps.  At one point, v.digit froze and after a while I
had to kill the process.  Upon restarting, I can display my vector map
using d.vect but I get a warning "coor files of vector 'foo at PERMANENT'
is larger than it should be'.  From reading around, this is to be
expected since v.digit writes out the length data on exit.  The
recommend fix is to rerun v.digit to rewrite the file.

However, if I try to run v.digit I get the following error;

 "ERROR: Cannot open old vector foo at PERMANENT on level 2"

I get the same error if I try to export the dataset using v.out.ogr.

Now, my vector dataset was created today in grass 6.0 so I don't imagine
it uses the old vector format.  Certainly, "g.list type=vect" shows my
map and "g.list type=oldvect" doesn't.

Any idea how I can recover my data?  I was only doing a small amount of
work today to test-drive grass6, but since v.digit crashed once it's
reasonable to assume I'll encounter this again when I do the map for
real.

Secondly does grass6 allow you to store the geometry of a vector map in
a postgis table?  (I've been storing attributes on a pg table).  I'd
feel a bit happier if my data was being updated with transactions to
avoid crash-lossage like this.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Today is the first day I feel that I've
got into the "grass way" of thinking about things.

Andrew

- http://www.nobugs.org -