[GRASSLIST:6874] beginner's question

Stefan Istvan stefi at geohidroterv.hu
Tue May 24 09:58:15 EDT 2005

Hello list members,

this is the first time that I write to this list. I'm a system
administrator at a hungarian company, and I'm struggling to change the
workstation's operating system to Linux. One of the biggest chalenge is
to find a replacement for Golden Software's Surfer software. I found
Grass, and I think it could be a good alternative, but it seems a little
bit harder to use.
Another problem is that our engineers don't want to use Linux at all, so
it is up to me to find alternatives for their softwares.

As far as I know, our engineers use Surfer mainly to make isolined maps
from xyz coordinates.
So my first question is that if I have a simple text file that contains
x,y,z coordinates, and I would like to make an iso surface from it, how
should I do it?
I know that it is impossible to learn to use Grass via mailing-list, but
I would like to get started to use it to be able to demonstrate it's
possibilities to our engineers.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Istvan