[GRASSLIST:6946] Re: automatically starting mac in X11 mode?

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Mon May 30 04:36:59 EDT 2005

Hi Hamish

>Hi,
>

>working with the cvs MacOSX binaries, is there a way to have it
>automatically load in X11 mode instead of OSX mode? I need something
>really stable to give to a new user and OSX mode still has some quirks.
>

>thanks,
>Hamish

You can start in X11 mode always if you enter the command from X11 terminal:

% /Applications/Grass/grass61cvs.app/Contents/Resources/grass-6.1.cvs/grass61

grass61 is normal shell for starting. OSX-AQUA is ALWAYS disabled in this way.
You can make a sym link for grass61 file.

OSX-AQUA is only enabled from starting application if you start in
"OS X" Menu Type, but you can select X11. The source code of starting
application, in XCode (88 kb), is on my site:
http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/download.htm

AQUA mode has one problem: the blank window linked to scroll problem
in tcltkaqua (there is a workaround: make a clic on one bar on the
window) but has many advantages for Mac users: Copy-Paste,
Command-key, standard dialog to open/save file, menu up, etc. like
other Mac Apps and an environment similar to Mac application. Many
users use this one.

I call the X11 version the standard version because it's equal in all
platforms and you can connect via X11 to Grass in remote and the AQUA
version is the standalone version because it's specific for Mac and
you can't connect to Aqua version via remote.

This start app is the fastest way to start Grass in Mac OS X.

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (res.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131
			Download GRASS for MAC OS X:
	           http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/