[GRASSLIST:8868] Re: GRASS 6 in a nutshell tutorial

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Thu Nov 3 18:58:54 EST 2005

Markus Neteler wrote:

>Luigi Ponti wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>while going through the Neteler's GRASS 6 in a nutshell tutorial I get
>>the message:
>>
>>"Cannot open database
>>/home/Administrator/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf/ by driver dbf"
>>
>>when at section 3.1.2. I try to import vector ESRI SHAPE files form
>>the package tiger2000_UTM13_nad27.tar.gz, via the "import various
>>formats using ogr" option in the GIS manager.
>>
>>Does anybody know what the problem could be?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>

>Luigi,
>
>please check if the directory
>/home/Administrator/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf/
>exists. If not, please create it. From current GRASS 6.1-CVS onwards the
>dbf/ directory in the current
>mapset is created automatically.
>
>Hope this helps
>
> Markus

Thanks Markus,

It worked out perfectly fine.

Now I would need to create my own location with a state boundary and an
elevation model for California (this would provide the basis to map the
output of my ecological model --reminder). Does anybody know if there is
online files available for download that would allow me to accomplish
such task? I have been trying to do this by OGR importing ESRI .shp
files from http://gis.ca.gov/ into a location with projection based on
.prj file content, but the new layer does not show up in the monitor.
Any hints?

Also when I try to access GRASS help, the following message shows up:
"help /usr/local/grass6.0.0/scripts/g.manual: line 71: iexplore: command
not found".
Is it that GRASS cannot find the browser?

Finally, when trying to access the man version via "g.manual -m d.rast",
the shell says:
"fopen: No such file or directory
Cannot open man page
/home/Administrator/C:\cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.0/man/man1/d.rast.1.gz
No manual entry for C:\cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.0/man/man1/d.rast.1".
Is there any fix to this?

Ciao,

Luigi