[GRASSLIST:8873] Re: GRASS 6 in a nutshell tutorial

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Nov 4 03:13:16 EST 2005

Luigi, I am not sure about your manual problems, but you can grab data
of California from several location for free.  Try
http://data.geocomm.com/ for a vector outline of the state.  You have
to create an account on that site, but it is free, and they have a lot
of useful data.

The best DEM of the state can be had from the USGS seamless server
here: http://seamless.usgs.gov.  DEMs of a variety of resolutions are
available there.

If you have already imported data and can't view it, have you made sure
to set your region?
g.region rast=your_rast
or
g.region vect=your_vect
then
d.rast rast=your_rast

Hope this helps,
Ian

On Nov 3, 2005, at 3:58 PM, Luigi Ponti wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> Luigi Ponti wrote:
>>

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> while going through the Neteler's GRASS 6 in a nutshell tutorial I
>>> get
>>> the message:
>>>
>>> "Cannot open database
>>> /home/Administrator/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf/ by driver dbf"
>>>
>>> when at section 3.1.2. I try to import vector ESRI SHAPE files form
>>> the package tiger2000_UTM13_nad27.tar.gz, via the "import various
>>> formats using ogr" option in the GIS manager.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what the problem could be?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Luigi,
>>
>> please check if the directory
>> /home/Administrator/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf/
>> exists. If not, please create it. From current GRASS 6.1-CVS onwards
>> the
>> dbf/ directory in the current
>> mapset is created automatically.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Markus
>>

> Thanks Markus,
>
> It worked out perfectly fine.
>
> Now I would need to create my own location with a state boundary and
> an elevation model for California (this would provide the basis to map
> the output of my ecological model --reminder). Does anybody know if
> there is online files available for download that would allow me to
> accomplish such task? I have been trying to do this by OGR importing
> ESRI .shp files from http://gis.ca.gov/ into a location with
> projection based on .prj file content, but the new layer does not show
> up in the monitor. Any hints?
>
> Also when I try to access GRASS help, the following message shows up:
> "help /usr/local/grass6.0.0/scripts/g.manual: line 71: iexplore:
> command not found".
> Is it that GRASS cannot find the browser?
>
> Finally, when trying to access the man version via "g.manual -m
> d.rast", the shell says:
> "fopen: No such file or directory
> Cannot open man page
> /home/Administrator/C:\cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.0/man/man1/
> d.rast.1.gz
> No manual entry for C:\cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.0/man/man1/d.rast.1".
> Is there any fix to this?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Luigi

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad.
  - Dave Barry