[GRASSLIST:8960] Re: GRASS 6 in a nutshell tutorial

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Wed Nov 9 14:10:12 EST 2005

Thanks Ian,

I got the vector .shp outline of the state from the California Spatial
Information Library http://gis.ca.gov/index.epl since the one you
recemmended me on http://data.geocomm.com/ was in .e00 format and GRASS
would not import it directly.

The DEM I got it from NOAA/GLOBE
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/globe.html where you can customize
your download area as opposed to the DEM on http://seamless.usgs.gov
that has to be downloaded in small pieces.

I have imported both the vector and the raster with minimum trouble,
since the first has a .prj file which GRASS recognized, and the second
had a detailed import tutorial in the cygwin-GRASS install page.
However, despite the fact the the two layers supposedly have the same
NAD83 projection info (I did not enter anything manually), when I try to
display them together on a GRASS monitor, the state layout is in the
middle of the ocean compared to the elevation raster.

Is there a way to overlap the two layers or to chek for a coordinate error?

Thanks,

Luigi