[GRASSLIST:9008] Re: ArcView vs GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 11 13:43:10 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> During a national conference on Open Source software
> (http://www.salpa.pisa.it/), one of the speakers (ESRI businnes partner,
> curiously enough) has showed a comparison, which I found misleading,
> between ArcView and GRASS. Does anybody have hard data, reference material,
> or experience to share on this? Many thanks. pc

Paolo,

   Why was ESRI indirectly at a OSS conference? Seems rather odd to me.
Anyway, comparing ArcView and GRASS is like comparing Notepad to LaTeX.
They're two different tools intended for different audiences and tasks.

   I suggest you'll get good answers if you're more specific about what
comparisons you need and for what purposes.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"