[GRASSLIST:9031] Re: v.in.ascii error

Tiago Salgueiro 1010664 at isep.ipp.pt
Sat Nov 12 19:44:18 EST 2005

My problem is not running v.in.ascii. This command works fine but after,
when I tried v.surf.rst the program gave this warning and ask me to run
v.build. I did that and tried v.surf.rst again. Now program didn't ask to
run v.build but the error appears. Can it be some parameter wrong in
v.surf.rst command??

Thanks,
Tiago

>> coor files of vector 'testev_out at salgueitteste' is larger than it
>> should be (14 bytes excess).
>
> Strange. Try v.info (make sure there is something there), v.build,
> v.clean.
>
>> My objective is process bathymetric data. For example:
>> I have a txt file with thousands of points x, y and z that were
>> measured with a sonar or something and my mission is to convert the
>> points into a map of the river's deep. Can I do this easily?
>
> GRASS 6's v.in.ascii handles many thousands of data points very easily.
> Once you bigger than several million data points you will start running
> out of system memory.
>
> One missing piece of the puzzle for high-density sidescan sonar and
> LIDAR data sets is a GRASS 5.4->6 port of s.cellstats for binning point
> data into raster cells (sum, min, max, mean, mode, etc in each cell).
>
> If you are dealing with data sets that huge (many millions of points),
> you might want to use GRASS 5.4 for that part of the processing and then
> switch over to GRASS 6 once you have made your raster maps.
>

> Hamish

Cumprimentos/Best Regards,

Tiago Salgueiro
Nº1010664