[GRASSLIST:9027] Re: v.in.ascii error

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 02:41:47 EST 2005

> coor files of vector 'testev_out at salgueitteste' is larger than it
> should be (14 bytes excess).

Strange. Try v.info (make sure there is something there), v.build,
v.clean.

> My objective is process bathymetric data. For example:
> I have a txt file with thousands of points x, y and z that were
> measured with a sonar or something and my mission is to convert the
> points into a map of the river's deep. Can I do this easily?

GRASS 6's v.in.ascii handles many thousands of data points very easily.
Once you bigger than several million data points you will start running
out of system memory.

One missing piece of the puzzle for high-density sidescan sonar and
LIDAR data sets is a GRASS 5.4->6 port of s.cellstats for binning point
data into raster cells (sum, min, max, mean, mode, etc in each cell).

If you are dealing with data sets that huge (many millions of points),
you might want to use GRASS 5.4 for that part of the processing and then
switch over to GRASS 6 once you have made your raster maps.

Hamish