[GRASSLIST:9024] Re: v.in.ascii error

Tiago Salgueiro 1010664 at isep.ipp.pt
Fri Nov 11 21:32:42 EST 2005

Thank you I did it and works perfectly.
Now when I try with a bigger .txt file v.in.ascii works but when I made
v.surf.rst I received an warning:

coor files of vector 'testev_out at salgueitteste' is larger than it should
be (14 bytes excess).
Percent complete: Reading lines from vector map ... Reading nodes from
vector map ...
ERROR2: zero points in the given region!
Input failed

How can I do that with a bigger file? My objective is process bathymetric
data. For example:
I have a txt file with thousands of points x, y and z that were measured
with a sonar or something and my mission is to convert the points into a
map of the river's deep. Can I do this easily?

Thanks again!
Tiago

> for a 3D map with colors, you need to do 2 more things:
>
> 1) Create a continuous raster from your vector z-values with v.surf.rst.
>
> For example:
> v.surf.rst input=testar1_out layer=0 dmax=2.500000 dmin=0.500000
> elev=my3Dsurface zmult=1.0 tension=40 segmax=100 npmin=200
>
> Name of the vector file with input data: <your_vector>
> Field value: 0
> Maximum distance between points on isoline: use default value to start
> with.  You can try different numbers.
> Minimum distance between points on isoline: use default value to start
> with.  You can try different numbers.
> Output surface raster file (elevation): my_new_3D_surface
> Conversion factor for interpolated values: 1.0 (default)
> Tension: 40 (default).  You can try different numbers.
> Max number of points in segment: Use a number equal to or larger than
> the number of points in your file.
> Min number of points for interpolation: Use a number larger than "max
> number of points in segment"
>

> 2) Use NVIZ to view your new raster map
>
> nviz elevation=my3Dsurface
>
> You will want to adjust the relative size of the z-values in the control
> panel, probably.
>

> Tiago Salgueiro wrote:
>> Ok finally I see something...
>>
>> Is not possible to see a 3D map with colours??
>> What I want is obtain a 3D map starting by a table of points x, y ,z. Is
>> it possible with GRASS?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tiago

> Eva L. Hulse
> PhD Student
> University at Buffalo Anthropology Department
> evahulse at buffalo.edu

Cumprimentos/Best Regards,

Tiago Salgueiro
Nº1010664