[GRASSLIST:9221] Re: GRASS education

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Nov 25 11:57:10 EST 2005

Maning,

I recently did a GIS class based on GRASS at the University of Valencia,
Spain. The sylllabus, powerpoints, and data files I used are posted to my
website at <http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/STEA/>

I hope they can be useful.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

From: Maning Sambale <esambale at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:42:11 -0800 (PST)
To: <GRASSLIST at baylor.edu>
Subject: [GRASSLIST:9214] GRASS education

Dear grasslist,

  For a couple of months I have been using GRASS (cygwin & debian)  and it
really got me hooked.  It really suprises me everytime I am  at bash or when
I'm reading my mailing list.

  I am a faculty in a college in the Philippines involved in  environmental
planning & management.  We have been gradually  introducing our students to
GIS & RS.  I believe foss gis/rs  is a better option not just on the
economics but on optimal learning as  well.

  I have been developing some exercises that we will use for our lab
sessions.  I have virtually httracked most of the GRASS tutorial  (from
hannover, moritz, the seeds, and others) as references. I also  borrowed
Markus and Helen's 2nd ed book from a good friend.

  What I want to ask this list is if you can provide me with references  and
insights which can help me in developing our lab exercises.   The objective!
is to introduce GIS concepts (using foss) to the students  as a tool for
local planning & resource management as well as  acquire practical GIS
skills.

  What do you think are the core GIS/RS competency/skills they should
acquire as beginning GIS user's?

  This morning we had our first GRASS intro exercise and some of the
students are having difficulty using the CLI  (all of them are  windows user
with virtually no msdos experience) . The exercise was  intentionally
prepared to use the CLI (borrowed mostly from markus and  helens book),
because I believe they can learn more of  GRASS'  power with CLI.  Is this a
good approach?

  In the succeeding weeks we will be tackling basic GIS operations,  raster
and vector input, basic spatial analysis, land cover mapping  (with landsat
data), map layouts, and possibly some on nviz.  Is  this too much/less for a
beginner?

  Any insights from the developers, users, and educators w! ould be very
helpful.

  Cheers,

  Maning

  PS:  I have previously posted an inquiry in installing GRASS on  ubuntu
breezy, the answers were very useful but I was not able to  completely
install probably because of my limited Linux  experience.  After reading the
distro thread from the grasslist I  have resorted to using debian so that I
can use grass6 in linux.   Thanks again.

"Freedom is the most radical idea of all"  - Nathaniel Branden

"The opposite of pro is con/That fact is clearly seen/If progress means move
forward/Then what does Congress?" - Nipsey Russell

Philippine Biodiversity Web Map
http://www.geocities.com/esambale/philbiodivmap/philbirds.html

Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/

 Yahoo! DSL
<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=37474/*http://promo.yahoo.c
om/broadband/ >  Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less