[GRASSLIST:9258] Re: GRASS and ArcSDE

Māris Nartišs maris.nartiss at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:08:30 EST 2005

Hi,

ArcSDE only for clients look fast, on server side load is high ;)
As I understand, ArcSDE is like PostGIS. It can have multiple backends
(Oracle etc.), but MySQL/PostgreSQL are not supported.

As ArcSDE follows OGC standarts, there should be no problem to connect
with any app to it. I cant test it, as I have only raster data in my
SDE.

More info:
"To date, ESRI has implemented the OGC Simple Feature Access
Specification (in ArcSDE and ArcGIS)"
http://www.esri.com/software/standards/faqs.html

Fighting with monopoly isnt easy task. Some days a go I had discussion
about new study programm for planing experts. Authors of this program
where saying - its good what you can do with GRASS (pointing on my
work), but we will by and teach only  ArcGIS. My reply, that we need
to teach GIS and not usage of some app, was w/o any replys. Huh. They
will have no money to by ArcGIS extensions, so brand new planing and
GIS experts will have only basic knowledge how to use ArcView.

Maris.