[GRASSLIST:8492] Re: New GIS Manager version

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 4 16:22:06 EDT 2005

Michael, I just looked at this again to confirm (including with some
color images), but it turns out my description seems to be right on (at
least on my machine).  The jpeg I sent is showing the airphoto draped
on the shaded image being covered up by the shaded image.  It is a
screenshot taken as the display is in the middle of drawing the second
image (sorry if this was confusing).

So the upper light gray image is the shaded relief map, the middle two
thirds is the air photo draped on top of the shaded relief map (but
getting covered up by the light grey image), and the outer right bottom
edge is the air photo in an area beyond the extent of the shaded relief
map.  The middle two thirds I think is the intended result, but it gets
covered up as the monitor draws over it.  You can't reproduce this on
your end?  I am using 6.1cvs from Sept. 17 on OSX 10.3.9.

-Ian

On Oct 3, 2005, at 11:15 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Looking at your jpg, I think it is actually working OK. Have you tried
> doing
> the same thing with d.his to compare?
>
> I'm looking especially at the crater in the upper center of the aerial
> photo. It has the grey shades of the aerial, but seems to have the
> relief of
> the underlying map. The problem is that it is very difficult to see
> with
> grey on grey. Try it with a color image draped on a relief map.
>
> Michael
> School of Human Evolution and Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ 85287-2402
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671
>

>> From: Ian MacMillan <ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu>
>> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:09:06 -0700
>> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
>> Cc: GRASS Users List <grasslist at baylor.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [GRASSLIST:8365] Re: New GIS Manager version
>>
>> Michael, I have only one raster in the GIS manager when I do this.  If
>> I put a grayscale shaded relief map in the first, and an air photo in
>> the second, then I get an 'his' display that is later covered by just
>> the first map.  I have attached a small jpg that shows what I am
>> talking about.  This screen shot shows my 'his' image getting covered
>> up by the  shaded relief map (the shaded relief map does not extend
>> all
>> the way to the outer bottom right edge).  For some reason it looks
>> like
>> I am getting something like
>>
>> d.his h_map=air_photo i_map=shaded_relief
>> d.rast shaded_relief -o
>>
>> rather than just the d.his command when I hit the display button.
>>
>> I am also using the binaries from Lorenzo (Sept. 17 - source, Sept. 19
>> - osx).  That is weird that you can't reproduce this.
>>
>> -Ian
>>

>> On Sep 20, 2005, at 11:40 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>>> Ian,
>>>
>>> You are correct that a version of d.his is called when you drape or
>>> fuse
>>> maps.
>>>
>>> I just checked this with the version of Lorenzo's binaries I
>>> downloaded
>>> today, with the new GIS Manager installed.
>>>
>>> It seemed to work exactly as you'd expect it to work. I added a dem
>>> the
>>> 1st raster map entry field and an ASTER image to the second. I got
>>> the
>>> ASTER
>>> shaded by topography. I reversed them and got an image that looked
>>> pretty
>>> similar. Do you have another layer in the GIS Manager that is