[GRASSLIST:8541] Re: compiling GRASS on mac os x

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Oct 7 12:41:52 EDT 2005

I've been a bit bogged down to do anything with the build
instructions or my own binaries.  Here's what you do:

Edit configure.  Find the section that starts with 'Rhapsody-*|Darwin-
*)' - there are two, the second is an empty case, you want the
first.  Add -fno-common to SHLIB_CFLAGS, like:

     SHLIB_CFLAGS="-fno-common"

make sure to leave the leading space as it is in configure.

And in the SHLIB_LD string, change '-single_module' to '-
flat_namespace'.  That has worked for me so far with 6.0.1 and
6.1CVS.  I still need to try different combinations, but this works
so far.

Feedback would be nice - I *still* haven't got around to playing with
NVIZ or even the Tcl GUI, just pounding away in the Terminal.

On Oct 7, 2005, at 10:39 AM, William A. Perkins wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a related question.
>
> I use Lorenzo's GRASS 6 CVS binaries on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and they work
> great on my G5 and G4 systems.  I also keep the latest CVS source so I
> can muddle with it.  I have no difficulty compiling the CVS source,
> but I have two complaints about the resulting binaries:
>
>     1. All of the general/manage utilities (g.copy, g.remove, etc.)
>        crash with a Bus Error.  I've tracked this with a debugger and
>        it seems to be happening in init(), possibly read_list(), but I
>        can't really tell because the stack gets corrupted.  As you can
>        imagine, this is very inconvenient.
>
>     2. Any invocation of Tk-based apps are very slow compared to
>        Lorenzo's binary distribution (this is not a GRASS problem; the
>        wish from fink is slow).
>
> I've studied the Mac OS X build instructions and the mailing lists and
> have not located a solution to 1.  I must be missing something simple
> because the distributed binaries work so well. Any hints would be
> appreciated.
>
> I get all library requirements from fink.  I use gcc_select 3.3; 3.1
> segfaulted in lib/ogsf.  My configuration is as follows:

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy