[GRASSLIST:8569] Re: Changing scale of raster map

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 10 10:55:31 EDT 2005

Bruno, first thing, in a latlong projection, the units of resolution
are given in degrees.  So ewres=1 means that your cell width is one
degree.  Most other projections have a cell unit of meters.  For
example an ewres=1 in an UTM projection would mean that your cell width
is one meter.  To change your resolution, you can use

g.region res=your_res

for example

g.region res=00:00:30 yields a 30 arc second resolution in a latlong
projection.

Hope this helps,
Ian

On Oct 10, 2005, at 7:35 AM, Bruno GUILLAUME wrote:

> Dear GRASS users,
>
> My problem concerns a raster in lat-lon projection, having a given
> resolution of ewres1,nsres1. For every cell, the category value is
> expressed in kilogram.
> I need to transform it into  the same grid but with coarser
> resolution, say ewres2=10*ewres1 and nsres2=10*nsres1, BUT the
> transformation need to be mass-conservative (so, I need to get exactly
> the same amount in kilograms with finer and coarser resolution).
>
> Can I do in a simple way with GRASS ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bruno Guillaume.

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad.
  - Dave Barry