[GRASSLIST:8595] Re: newbie question region

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Oct 12 17:01:54 EDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:29:18 -0400
"Travis Kirstine GIS Tech" <tkirstine at jdbarnes.com> wrote:

> Hi all I'm very new to GRASS and just trying to figure a few things out, I
> have some experiance with GIS and have done a few of the online tutorials
> using Spearfish.  I would like to now try to use some of my own datasets
> (mostly in ESRI shpfiles or GTiffs)but am having trouble setting up my
> environment (Database location mapset g.region etc..) I've tried setting up
> a empty database and using import GDAL some of my DEM GTiffs but am unable
> to set the region (I tried the raster extents as north south east west
> limits).  Basically I'm looking for advice on how to set up a empty database
> and then on how to import data into it.
> Travis

I assume you are using GRASS 6.0. What I've done in the past (I haven't setup anything new in a while) is to determine the projection I needed and made the region smaller than I needed, the used r.in.gdal or v.in.ogr and set the option to extend region extents based on the input file (thus the first file I would pull would be something that would cover the entire area like a jurisdictional boundary, etc.).

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
(Daniel J. Boorstin)