[GRASSLIST:8598] Re: newbie question region

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 20:25:00 EDT 2005

> Hi all I'm very new to GRASS and just trying to figure a few things
> out, I have some experiance with GIS and have done a few of the online
> tutorials using Spearfish.  I would like to now try to use some of my
> own datasets (mostly in ESRI shpfiles or GTiffs)but am having trouble
> setting up my environment (Database location mapset g.region etc..)
> I've tried setting up a empty database and using import GDAL some of
> my DEM GTiffs but am unable to set the region (I tried the raster
> extents as north south east west limits).  Basically I'm looking for
> advice on how to set up a empty database and then on how to import
> data into it. Travis

some tutorials list here:

http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/

  and here

http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/tutorials.php

make the region anything at setup, and then after importing use

g.region rast=your_map

to zoom to the extent of  you imported map. The default region will be
wrong, but that's ok.

also you can use "gdalinfo yourfile.tif" etc to find the extents of your
map before setting up a location or create a simple XY location and use
r.in.gdal's "location" option to create a new location from the
projection info stored in your data file. Then exit GRASS and restart in
the newly created location.

good luck,
Hamish