[GRASSLIST:8603] GRASS, gdal and mapserver

Francisco Alonso alonsarp at um.es
Wed Oct 12 16:40:36 EDT 2005

Hi all

I have some experience with grass but I'm a begginer with mapserver and
I have run into a couple of problems with mapserver, gdal and grass and could
not find a proper solution in the mailing list archives (although I have
found the problem I have).

I think I have everything properly compiled and installed:

# ./shp2img -v
MapServer version 4.4.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

# gdalinfo --formats|grep GRASS
  GRASS (ro): GRASS Database Rasters (5.7+)

# ogrinfo --formats|grep GRASS
  -> "GRASS" (readonly)

# gdalinfo /var/www/grass5_mapserver/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/soils
Driver: GRASS/GRASS Database Rasters (5.7+)
Size is 950, 700
Coordinate System is `'
Origin = (590000.000000,4928000.000000)
Pixel Size = (20.00000000,-20.00000000)
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  590000.000, 4928000.000)
Lower Left  (  590000.000, 4914000.000)

but when I try to read the mapfile I have problems with the soils GRASS raster
file:

# ./shp2img -m mapserver.map -o map.png
msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'soils'. <br>
msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported image format
drawEPP(): Image handling error.
/var/www/grass5_mapserver/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/soils is not an EPPL
file. <br>

As far as I have read through the list there is nothing to do with EPP but a
problem reading the file, but it is the spearfish soil map (just 8 bits
color) so I think the problem is related with the way mapserver and gdal
interacts in my computer but I'm not to sure. My configure line for mapserver
was:

# ./configure --with-proj --with-gdal --with-gd --with-tiff --with-png
--with-php-regex-dir=../php4-4.3.10/regex
--with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

On the other hand I can not read GRASS vector files with OGR

# ogrinfo /var/www/grass5_mapserver/spearfish60/PERMANENT/vector/streams/head
Warning 1: GRASS warning: GISBASE enviroment variable was not set, using:
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1
ogrinfo: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/ogr_GRASS.so: undefined
symbol: Vect_set_fatal_error

I think here the problem is that I did some mistake with the gdal-grass
package

Could anyone give me some help?

Thanks

By the way, I'm working with a Debian Sarge distribution

Paco

--
Francisco Alonso Sarría
Departamento de Geografía (Area de Geografía Física)