[GRASSLIST:8654] Re: NVIZ fails; Suse 9.3, AMD 64

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 05:52:00 EDT 2005

> I'm trying to get GRASS to work on a SUSE 9.3; AMD 64 machine. The
> graphics  card is a NVIDIA 6600GT.
>
> The compiled RPM's for Suse 9.3 don't work (there seems to be
> significant  differences in library locations and probably differences
> in the way they are  compiled ). Instead I have compiled GRASS
> 6.0.1RC2.
>
> Starting GRASS works; with the graphic user interface. However; trying
> to  start NVIZ fails; see below. There is no meningfull errormessage.
> Other  modules seems to function (what I have tried). glxgears works;
> so it  shoulden't be an issue with openGL(?).
>
> Are there something that can be tried; to make it work? Or have I
> found a  bug;-). Have others tried and succeded in making nviz work
> under suse 9.3 on  AMD 64 bit systems?
..
> -------------------------errormessage from grass when trying to run
> NVIZ----- GRASS 6.0.1RC2 (grong):~ > nviz elevation=kommune
> Minnesegmentsfeil (i.e segmentationfault)
..
> -------------------------output of configure
..
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu checking for gcc... gcc

there could be 64bit fixes done after 6.0 was released. Try the 6.1-cvs
source code snapshot.

> checking whether to use Tcl/Tk... yes
> checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes...
> checking for tcl.h... yes
> checking for tk.h... yes
> checking Tcl version... 8.4
> checking Tk version... 8.4

Long standing bug: try compiling with Tcl/Tk 8.3 development headers.
see  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/source/REQUIREMENTS.html

threading issue? At run time you can use TclTk 8.4's "wish", AFAIK.

Hamish