[GRASSLIST:8679] Re: [GRASS5] Re: GIS Manager updates

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Oct 18 14:18:21 EDT 2005

Kirk,

Glad you like the improvements. I'm trying to target people who know GIS,
but not GRASS, along with keeping it functional for old hands at the
program.

Attribute management is pretty weak in GRASS, though the new scripts for
column addition and value replacement are a bit help. More things can be
accomplished via SQL commands within GRASS.

This has been discussed and needs someone to write a data management module
in C or TclTk

Currently, the best bet is to use another program (database front end) to
manage the data tables for any heavy-duty activities.

Depending on what you want to do, this can be Open Office, MyPHP, several
freeware/shareware/commercial front ends, etc. If on Linux or a Mac and
installed correctly (a bit tricky), QGIS has a decent, if simple data table
manager (searching and changing values in a nice table interface, but not
column  additions or deletions as far as I can tell).

SQLite support has been added to GRASS, but I'm not sure what that means
exactly (I've just emailed Radim this morning to try and get a
clarification). This may be a nice option.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA