[GRASSLIST:8681] Re: [GRASS5] Re: GIS Manager updates

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:48:23 EDT 2005

I just tried the new GIS manager, and I think it is really good. The
only thing is that I foud some icons to be a little...big. Those on
the far right are at a good size, but I guess the others are big (like
zoom). Anyway, good job!

Carlos

On 10/18/05, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> Kirk,
>
> Glad you like the improvements. I'm trying to target people who know GIS,
> but not GRASS, along with keeping it functional for old hands at the
> program.
>
> Attribute management is pretty weak in GRASS, though the new scripts for
> column addition and value replacement are a bit help. More things can be
> accomplished via SQL commands within GRASS.
>
> This has been discussed and needs someone to write a data management module
> in C or TclTk
>
> Currently, the best bet is to use another program (database front end) to
> manage the data tables for any heavy-duty activities.
>
> Depending on what you want to do, this can be Open Office, MyPHP, several
> freeware/shareware/commercial front ends, etc. If on Linux or a Mac and
> installed correctly (a bit tricky), QGIS has a decent, if simple data table
> manager (searching and changing values in a nice table interface, but not
> column  additions or deletions as far as I can tell).
>
> SQLite support has been added to GRASS, but I'm not sure what that means
> exactly (I've just emailed Radim this morning to try and get a
> clarification). This may be a nice option.
>
> Michael
> ______________________________
> School of Human Evolution and Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671
>

> > From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers at umn.edu>
> > Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:54:32 -0500
> > To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> > Cc: List GRASS Users <GRASSLIST at baylor.edu>
> > Subject: [GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:8664] GIS Manager updates
> >
> > Michael,
> >
> > This is tremendous. The new GIS looks and, as far as I can tell
> > works, great (as of CVS this afternoon).
> >
> > On a separate topic, I would to hear your (or anyone else's who would
> > like to chime in) opinion concerning attribute management. Several
> > folks in my department have vector layers on which they need to add
> > anywhere from 5 to 50 attributes per polygon (5 to 50 new columns).
> > They all have postgres and mysql installed (in addition to the
> > standard defaulf dbf option). What approach do people take when
> > building attribute intensive vector layers? Do you use a separate
> > database (ie postgis)? or do you manage them in grass?
> >
> > The motivation for this query is this: One of my colleagues stopped
> > me in hall yesterday and reported the he couldn't figure out how to
> > delete an attribute column once he had created it. I started looking
> > into the issue last night and so far have not come up with an answer
> > for him. And as long as I was on the topic I though I'd open it up to
> > a larger question of attribute management.
> >
> > Looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions,
> >
> > Kirk
> >
> > Kirk R. Wythers, Research Fellow
> > Dept. of Forest Resources
> > University of Minnesota
> [...]

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com