[GRASSLIST:8701] v.digit boundary, centroid, topology issues

Graham Watt-Gremm sunyata at uvic.ca
Wed Oct 19 19:44:39 EDT 2005

Hello all,
I'm having problems making digitized boundaries reveal themselves as
areas (6.1.cvs binaries on OSX 10.4.2). After creating polygons
(category set to no category), placing centroids (mode next not
used), and manually cleaning nodes (splitting lines and removing
vertices) and ensuring node colour is the proper green, I exit
v.digit and get the following response (from a test vector with just
two polygons - one a closed single boundary line representing an open
avalanche path and the second an adjoining woodland:

Building topology ...
Registering lines:
6 primitives registered
Building areas:

1 areas built
1 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids:
Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   5
Number of primitives:   6
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   4
Number of centroids :   2
Number of areas     :   1
Number of isles     :   1
Number of incorrect boundaries   :   3
Number of centroids outside area :   1
%

I examine the result using d.vect and find that the avalanche area
displays and "queryable" anywhere, while the woodland does not show
the area. I have been over and over the help archives (something
similar was examined October 2003, but I could not figure it out for
my situation), manuals, and such, and believe I understand the vector
topology model - what do I need to do to "close" the polygon and have
the centroid values assigned to it?

(images viewable here: http://frog.envi.uvic.ca:81/~graham/
v.digit_woes.htm)

Thanks,