[GRASSLIST:8754] Display Monitor freeze-up on Cygwin Grass6.1cvs-5: "Monitor: read 1: Error reading input: Software caused connection abort"

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Wed Oct 26 07:49:24 EDT 2005

I was wondering if any other Wingrass users have been having this problem.
The command line displays the following error after almost every pan, zoom,
raster & vector query:

"Monitor: read1: Error reading input: Software caused connection abort"

Now, sometimes I'll get lucky and be able to do 2 or 3 pans or zooms before
I get the above error message, where the display monitor and GIS manager
both freeze for anywhere from 8-15 seconds. Querying in general is really
bad. For the 'Mouse Query Setup' option on the GIS manager, I've been forced
to checkbox the option 'results as text in terminal', because otherwise,
using the option 'edit attirubutes (form mode)' grinds Grass to a screeching
halt, where I usually have to wait anywhere up to half a minute for the
results to appear in a new window. Sometimes I get still get the freeze-up
when querying vectors using 'text in terminal' as opposed to the form mode.
Does anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

I should mention that this behavior has been occurring for a while now,
probably since the 6.0.0 release, and on all versions of the GIS Manager
(including Michael's new green one). The only display monitor action that
doesn't seem to suffer from freeze-up are redraws, thankfully; at least I
can painlessly turn layers on and off.

I made sure that all my Cygwin packages are up-to-date. Actually, I run
setup.exe pretty much every other day.

Any ideas?

~ Eric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~