[GRASSLIST:8764] Re: install grass 6.0.1 under ubuntu 5.4

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:23:22 EDT 2005

The official distro .deb does update those links, however my thoughts
refereed to the weekly CVS tarball that is available from:

http://grass.itc.it/grass61/binary/linux/snapshot/

I have used both Debian and more recently Ubuntu for about 4 or 5
years. The official grass debs in Debian (and now Ubuntu) have always
been out of date, sometimes by a whole version number. In general,
that leaves you with either (1) installing a custom deb from the
project web site or a benevolent user or (2) installing the
traditional way with tarballs (sometimes source compiling).

Over the years, I've found that the latter (tarballs) tends to be the
easiest to maintain in the long run. It doesn't add a dependency on
the middle-man between the project developers and your system. So if I
can't get the version I want out of APT I tend to jump ship and
install from the main sources if I can and put everything in
/usr/local/

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays