[GRASSLIST:8827] major data loss bug with i.points!

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 31 22:59:06 EST 2005

Hi all, I just experienced some VERY weird behavior using grass 6.1cvs.
  The end result is that somehow GRASS erased an entire location
(several 100's of MB), without much prompting by me.  Here is how it
happened.

I was using i.points in an xy location when I mistakenly resized the
i.points terminal window as I was entering points.  The terminal window
looked a little funky (mishapen i.points display), and I was presented
with a grass prompt, instead of the normal i.points display.  My cursor
no longer responded on the monitor, though it still displayed the
typical 'cross' cursor from i.points.  I tried to control-c to kill
i.points, but my cursor would not change.  Everytime I did this the
grass prompt would repeat itself without a carriage return such that it
looked like:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (xy):~ >     GRASS 6.1.cvs (xy):~ >      GRASS 6.1.cvs
(xy):~ >

rather than

GRASS 6.1.cvs (xy):~ >
GRASS 6.1.cvs (xy):~ >

Carriage returns yielded the same behavior.  I decided things looked a
little screwy, so I typed exit.  Grass seemed to quit in a normal way
(D.m disappeared along with the terminal).  Upon immediately restarting
Grass and firing up i.points again, I discovered that I had lost my
target location!  This included ALL data in the target location (a few
hundred megabytes, many hours of work).  I have searched thoroughly on
my system, and it is all gone (not in the trash either and I haven't
emptied it).  My XY location is still there, but the target location
has disappeared.  The target files of the imagery groups all still
point to the lost location.  This all happened in a span of 2 minutes.
Out of fear I have not attempted to recreate this scenario.

The last commands from my .bash_history file don't reveal much:
i.points
fg
exit
i.points
I tried to see if i.points was running in the background after its
initial weird behavior.

I feel pretty comfortable with grass (regular user for 4 years), and
this is the first time I have ever experienced anything remotely
similar to this.  It definitely scares me as I have a lot of data I
don't care to lose.  Anyone have any ideas out there about this?
Developers?  Is this something that has happened before with a cvs
version?

I have been very happy with GRASS, but a bug like this really makes me
question my use of the program.  I know one should make regular
backups, but this is very bothersome.

-Ian

Mac OS 10.3.9 (latest update), GRASS 6.1cvs from Lorenzo (source Oct.
22, 2005)