[GRASSLIST:8200] Re: libgrass_gmath.so error on startup (FC4)

Chris Bennett chris_bennett at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 18:09:01 EDT 2005

Thanks Jaime and Michele for your suggestions.  Unfortunately, these
don't seem to be the problem.  I have installed the proj4, geos, and
gdal applications, and everything seems to have the proper permissions,
including spearfish being owned by my normal user account.

Still at a loss.

-Chris.

Jaime Carrera wrote:

> Did you install proj4, geos and gdal?
>
> Jaime

And
Michele wrote:

Hi,

>I've installed everything
>as root, and the owner and group of all the files is root.

If you use a normal user account maybe you can't work on data owned by root...

-------- Original post ------------
Hi Folks,

I'm new to grass and trying to run for the first time, but keep getting
the message below at startup after selecting the dataset spearfish in
the GUI's Dataset Selection dialog.  I'm running Fedora Core 4 with the
latest grass-related packages installed (I can provide the versions if
needed).  This error doesn't appear in the archives so it must be
something simple, but I can't figure it out.  I've installed everything
as root, and the owner and group of all the files is root.

Here's the version info for the machine:
$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun 2 22:55:56 EDT
2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The error message is:

GRASS 6.0.1 (spearfish60):~/grass > Error in startup script: ps.map:
error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/lib/libgrass_gmath.so: cannot restore segment
prot after reloc: Permission denied
   while executing
"exec ps.map -p"
   (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
   invoked from within
"DmPrint::init"
   (procedure "main" line 32)
   invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
   (file "/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 894)

Thanks for any help.

-Chris.