[GRASSLIST:8295] Re: Change cat column

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Thu Sep 15 09:22:37 EDT 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:35:07 +0200
Olivier Faber <olivier.faber at tudor.lu> wrote:

> Hi
> I got this old problem not solved yet.
> I have a vector file with one column (named ATT) in the .dbf file that should define the categories. these categories are defined by different numbers. Unfortunately while importing the shape file, Grass created a column named cat with continious numbering.  As I want do assign one color to each category, I need my original category column to be the reference for the colors.
> Do I have to put the ATT column as first column for Grass to recognize it as categories? Can I change the categories assign in my existing vector file? Is there a possibility to tell Grass which column to use for category when importing  a shape file with v.in.ogr?
>
> I use Grass 6.0.1 under Suse 9.3

Upon reading the help page for v.in.ogr you will find

"cnames=string
    List of column names to be used instead of original names, first is used for category column."

Perhaps you didn't receive the message but Hamish replied about using v.reclass to change the categories to a different column or using the GRASSRGB column. Please refer to:

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2005-September/030362.html

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
(Daniel J. Boorstin)