[GRASSLIST:8304] Re: Setting Null Values

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 16 01:05:06 EDT 2005

Dave, I am not sure if this is the way you want to do this, but you can
draw a mask (r.digit) around the part of your map that is data, and set
everything else in the region to null with r.null.  Then remove the
mask and use r.patch.  You can't really automate this easily, but it
should work.

-Ian

On Sep 15, 2005, at 8:47 PM, Dave Kent wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have some scanned topographic maps in geotiff format.  When I try to
> import them, r.in.gdal tells me that they are not orthogonal and I
> need to straighten them with gdalwarp.   This works fine but as the
> map is rotated,  I get black slivers along the edges of the maps.
>
> I want to patch the maps together.  If I set the black slivers to NULL
> with r.patch -z or r.null the valid black content in the map
> disappears as well.
>
> Is there a way I can use the -dstnodata feature of gdalwarp to set the
> 'nodata' portions of the output map directly to a NULL value that
> grass will recognize on input?
>
> Or is there some other way to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Dave

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad.
  - Dave Barry