[GRASSLIST:8352] Re: v.in.garmin

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 03:31:29 EDT 2005

> I see that v.in.garmin script in GRASS 6.1.x (develop version) is
> broken, the  rigth script is only in GRASS 6.0.1 (stable version).

I was not aware that it was broken. Can you explain what is wrong?

Probably your locale using commas for decimal places, which makes awk
choke. This should be fixed by Moritz Lennert a few hours ago, can you
update, test and report back working/not working?

>From a design perspective I am surprised that the specific
(LC_NUMERIC) doesn't override the generic (LC_ALL) setting.

but,

"LC_NUMERIC
    In the absence of LC_ALL, LC_NUMERIC chooses the numeric format
locale. In the absence of both LC_ALL and LC_NUMERIC, LANG chooses the
numeric format."

If that's how it is, that's how it is.... shrug.

devels & international scripters:
 I have cleaned up & sync'ed the latest changes. messy! tsk tsk. :-)
Now both 6.1-cvs and 6.0.x versions are the same, be they broken or
fixed. Untested as the GPS I usually use is in the field currently
and I'm just different versions of en_* anyway.

rather than:
unset LC_ALL
export LC_NUMERIC=C

should we just do:
export LC_ALL=C

or is it better to 'unset LC_ALL' and let LANG fill in the other blanks?

> Can you exchange it?

yes, just copy over the file into $GISBASE/scripts/.

I don't understand why the 6.0.1 version would work when the 6.1cvs
version didn't though.. The 6.0.1 version wasn't unsetting LC_ALL
either. Moreover I seem to remember getting a positive outcome when we
added LC_NUMERIC when this first came up. Maybe different platform
different issues.. regardless, hopefully it is working ok now.

The script WAS broken in 6.0.0.

Hamish