[GRASSLIST:8361] Remote execution of grass53 commands

Suprit Kumar suprit at darya.nio.org
Tue Sep 20 12:52:37 EDT 2005

Hi all,

First let me give some background information.
I am using grass-5.3.0 on my PC (Pentium P4) running on mandrake 10.0 Linux.
We have few linux PCs (running too on mandrake 10.0) where grass-5.3.0 is
installed.
I am planning to run s.vol.rst module for interpolating daily rainfall values
for some years.
To save time (as it takes considerable time) I wanted to write a script that
will fire a job for diffrent time periods on different PCs from my PC.

The problem starts when I tried to remotely execute the commands from a
script using ssh.

Here is example of the script and output,

#!/bin/bash

#First I have to start a grass session on remote machine "chambal"
ssh chambal grass53 /home/suprit/grass53/GrassData/globe/goa
# Then next grass command as.
g.region raster=goa_map_1 (# I tried "ssh chambal g.region raster=goa_map_1"
too.)....
This gives out output as shown below, the shell prompt is not returned and the
next command (g.region raster=goa_map_1)  does not get executed at all.....
When I kill the Grass session by ctr-c only then g.region gets executed giving
obvious error   "ERROR: GISBASE not set"

---output---
Cleaning up temporary files.....$TERM
Starting GRASS ...
>tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified (both -T i specified and
$TERM=xterm here

Welcome to GRASS 5.3.0 (15 May 2004)....
This version running thru the Bash Shell (/bin/bash)
Help is available with the command:      g.manual
See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
Start the graphical user interface with: tcltkgrass&
When ready to quit enter:                exit

Am I doing something horribly wrong or there is some settings to be changed?
Any suggestions and help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
With best regards
Suprit