[GRASSLIST:8441] Re: ps.map: scalebar in meters in latlon location

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 00:07:40 EDT 2005

> I have this raster map I get from SRTM30plus (basically, SRTM in
> 30arcsec resolution + ETOPO2 for oceans) for all South America, and I
> want to make a ps of it to print it. My problem is that I am in a
> latlon location, so I can't get a scalebar in meters (or can I?).

The scalebar will not be accurate over different parts of the map.
Unless it is projected, it will only be valid in the vertical or exactly
at the equator... best to just use the ps.map grid or geogrid
instructions.

> Else, to fit the map in a A4 paper, ps.map sets the scale to 1:350.
> How can I set that to something more commom, say 1:10.000.000 (like in
> a UTM location).

I think ps.map's scale in Lat/lon is broken. see bug # ?
 [intevation.de having server problems? can't get to the cvs either]

Hamish