[GRASSLIST:598] How to Run GRASS modules at bash prompt

Nagesh Bhatkar bnagesh at nio.org
Thu Apr 6 07:33:10 EDT 2006

Dear GRASS users,

One of my colleagues wanted to edit the islands out. I suggested him to use GRASS to edit
the islands (d.rast.edit). But he didnt want me to install the entire GRASS because it
 would result in unneccesary consumption of memory as he wanted to use only one module
of GRASS and didnt want other modules. So he asked me if i could install only the GRASS modules
, libraries , which were needed by the d.rast.edit module which could work outside the GRASS enviroment at the bash prompt.

I modified the existing d.rast.edit module to delete insignificant islands(in the relative sense)
 which were causing some errors in the model we were running. By this module , Onclick anywhere,
 determines if its a island and if it is gives the option to delete the entire island i.e set as ocean
instead of editing each individual cell out.

I wanted to know if i cud use GRASS modules at bash command  prompt. I went through the GRASS SWIG/PERL implementation grass_warp.c .
But didnt quiet understand how i could implement it.
I have read and understood all the makefiles in ~/grass-6.0.1/include/Make/  and the init.sh file.
kindly drop in suggestions if using GRASS modules at bash prompt is possible and what i need to
do to accomplish that.

Nagesh

<http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass61progman/swig/grass__wrap_8c.html>